Chairman Emeritus, Institute of International Education
President, Henry Kaufman & Company, Inc.
Henry Kaufman is President of Henry Kaufman & Company, Inc., a firm established in April 1988, specializing in economic and financial consulting. For the previous 26 years, he was with Salomon Brothers Inc, where he was Managing Director, Member of the Executive Committee, and in charge of the Firm's four research departments. He was also a Vice Chairman of the parent company, Salomon Inc. Before joining Salomon Brothers, Dr. Kaufman was in commercial banking and served as an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
Dr. Kaufman, who was born in 1927, received a B.A. in economics from New York University in 1948, an M.S. in finance from Columbia University in 1949, and a Ph.D in banking and finance from New York University Graduate School of Business Administration in 1958. He also received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from New York University in 1982, and an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Yeshiva University in 1986, and from Trinity College in 2005. Dr. Kaufman's latest book, The Road to Financial Reformation, was published in August 2009. Prior to that, he wrote On Money and Markets, A Wall Street Memoir, which was released in June 2000. In 1987, Dr. Kaufman was awarded the first George S. Eccles Prize for excellence in economic writing from the Columbia Business School for his book, Interest Rates, the Markets, and the New Financial World.
Besides his business activities, Dr. Kaufman is active in a number of public organizations in the following capacities:
- Member of the Board of Trustees (and Chairman Emeritus), Institute of International Education
- Member of the Board of Trustees and Member of the Investment Committee, Norton Museum of Art
- Member (and Chairman Emeritus), Board of Overseers, Stern School of Business, New York University
- Member of the Board of Governors, Tel-Aviv University
- Member of the International Advisory Committee, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- Former Treasurer, The Economic Club of New York
- Honorary Trustee (and former President), The Animal Medical Center
- Life Trustee, New York University
- Life Trustee, The Jewish Museum